Making the transition from Servicemember to civilian can be extremely overwhelming, as well as figuring out the best way to apply your education benefits. The VA’s Education and Career Counseling Program can help alleviate some of the stress that comes with this transition. This program offers free personalized educational and career counseling from trained professionals as well as other support tools and resources to Veterans and dependents who are eligible for education benefits.
Who is eligible for the Education and Career Counseling Program?
- Transitioning Servicemembers within six months prior to discharge from active duty
- Veterans within one year after discharge from active duty
- Any Servicemember or Veteran eligible for a VA education benefit
- All current VA education benefit recipients
What services are offered under the program?
- Career counseling to help participants decide what kind of career they want to pursue based on skills and interests, as well as to locate training programs or job opportunities
- Educational counseling to assist with finding a field of study or educational program
- Academic and adjustment counseling to help address and overcome barriers to success
- Resume support and goal planning
How do I apply?
You can apply for these benefits online, by mail using VA Form 28-8832, or by taking your application to your nearest regional office or VetSuccess on Campus counselor.